It has been a tumultuous few years since COVID-19 has changed how we operate, both as a band and as individuals. Therefore, we have formalized how COVID-19 numbers in NYC at any particular point will indicate which types of gigs we are open to performing and under what conditions. RMO follows three tiers of COVID-19 safety.
As of August 10, 2023, we are in the Red Tier.
- Metrics: Under 10 new cases per 100,000 people in the last week in NYC; test positivity for NY/NJ is under 5%; majority of city wastewater sites show low levels in the last 2-3 weeks (i.e. "low" or "moderate" on the state wastewater dashboard)
- Actions: Outside gigs and rehearsals without masks or bell covers; indoor rehearsals, gigs, and other activities may be considered.
- Metrics: 10-100 new cases per 100,000 in the last week in NYC; test positivity for is NY/NJ between 5% and 10%; majority of city wastewater sites show moderate levels in the last 2-3 weeks (i.e. "high 0-25%" or "high 25-50%" on the state wastewater dashboard)
- Actions: Gigs are outdoors only; masks and bell covers are optional; we might consider recommending masks and COVID-19 rapid tests for gigs with larger audiences. Rehearsals by default are outdoors; in inclement weather*, the facilitator can choose between a virtual rehearsal/meeting on Jitsi, or a masked, rapid-tested, indoor, percussion-only rehearsal.
- Metrics: 100+ new cases per 100,000 in the last week in NYC; test positivity for NY/NJ is above 10%; majority of city wastewater sites show high levels in the last 2-3 weeks (i.e. "high 50-75%" or "high 75-100%" on the state wastewater dashboard)
- Actions: Gigs are outdoors only; masks (N95/KN95 or special wind instrument masks) and bell covers are recommended for practice and required for gigs; wind players must take COVID-19 rapid tests within 12 hours of a winds gig and receive a negative result. Rehearsals by default are outdoors; in inclement weather*, rehearsals/meetings are held virtually on Jitsi.
*We define inclement weather as a temperature below 40 degrees Fahrenheit (4 degrees Celcius), any kind of precipitation (rain, snow, sleet, etc.), and/or if any environmental hazards are present, such as an unhealthy air quality index due to wildfire smoke.
If you would like us to play at your event, please fill out our gig request form.
RMO strongly encourages proof of COVID-19 vaccination for all current and new members. We encourage all members to follow the CDC definition of “up to date” with their COVID-19 vaccines. This may be subject to change with more doses in the future. Vaccination is a form of mutual aid and community care that aligns with our values of supporting and protecting vulnerable communities and keeping each other safe.
We are continuing to monitor COVID-19 research closely, and we will let you know when we have any further updates. In the meantime, stay safe, keep each other safe, and see you in the streets!